March 27, 2012

Cooking Time with hoisin sauce

Sometimes you just got to cook, and you got to cook something new. And that's exactly what we did. My friend Marjan and I decided it was time for some healthier food! ;) 
Does anyone want some hoisin sauce veggies and my friend's Filipino sticky rice?! 
I do! 


First, cook basmati rice, with or without salt and once it's cooked add damp paper towels on top of the rice to soak up the moisture. Sounds funny just writing this but it worked and it became sticky and dry. Just the way I like it. ;) 


While the rice was cooking we cut, seasoned, and stir-fried the onions. Added chicken, and browned them. I'm not a fan of chicken anymore, but we needed to pep the dish because the guys in the house would not have liked it without some meat in it!


While the onions and the seasoned chicken are getting ready...we started washing and cutting broccoli, asparagus, carrots, green beans and mushrooms. Added those yummy veggies slowly to the pan and stirred everything.


We then slowly also added Hoison Sauce to the whole pan, stirred it in and let it simmer a little. Stirred some more and in the end added tofu, too. From time to time we had to taste some and make sure it's not too sweet or salty.


Voila...the very easy veggie dish was done!
It was that easy. I've done something similar a few months back. And this again was so much fun. It felt healthy, and well, healthy! No frozen veggies, all fresh.



We poured everything in a pyrex and kept it warm in the oven...and I had to rush to get a picture, so I apologize for this bad last picture. I was starving and had to quickly snap away and get me some food!
The guys liked it too....so relieved!

Best served in a bowl on top of the sticky rice!

I love veggies, and I know we all should eat more of it.
Sometimes it is hard though to just cook anything. It's mostly the thought that cooking may take a while and all that is the hardest. All I want is for the dish to be ready when we get home, but unfortunately, the dishes don't cook themselves. Yet. :) Who knows, in the future it may happen. Ya never know!!!

We definitely enjoyed our stir-fry Hoison veggie dish and I'm sure we'll be cooking something similar soon again!

Have a fantastic day!!!!

10 comments :

Unknown said...

that looks yummy!!

Why Girls Are Weird said...

YUM! Share please ;-)

Christianna said...

This looks yummy! I want some!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Yum yum! Great way to get your veggies in!

Ashley said...

mmmm...looks good! I'll have to try that sticky rice trick!

Sarah said...

Great sticky rice trick - it's one of my favourite things so I NEED to try this!! x

Bree said...

I love hoison sauce :) I make a shrimp recipe with hoison :) So yummy!

Sandy a la Mode said...

love anything with hoisin sauce! :D

Unknown said...

This looks yummy. I've never heard of that sauce before. What does it taste like? This, without the sauce is similar to what we eat here a lot. Veggies over rice.

Sierra said...

Nice job guys - looks delish! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...