November 24, 2014

Finding Happiness in the Darkest Times


Happy Monday my lovelies.
Hope your weekend was perfect, filled with laughter, people to talk to, spontaneous dates or trips, or just a great book that invited you into a new unknown world. My weekend was anything but good. Yet, I don't want to vent. I have vented too much over the past three days and I am exhausted. Instead, I want to look forward to the next three days that will hopefully be merry and bright...even yes, with Thanksgiving around the corner.

I am trying really hard to find happiness these days. Thanksgiving will NOT happen this year. We had plans to go see family and they got shattered into million little pieces due to my favorite person being called into work every single day this week. Even on Thanksgiving, and yes even over the weekend {again}. I cannot, and will not, extend my gratitude to those greedy business people wanting to make a killer profit on an American holiday, cherished for many many decades celebrating life, nature, food, and the gift of family. Thanksgiving is the time to be thankful for technically one thing {yet, we no longer live in the 1700s} so we have become grateful for many things. This year, tons of people are thankful for early shopping hours. Thank you for being thankful {insert major sarcasm here}. Anyhow, so, while this holiday isn't happening this year I am trying to find happiness elsewhere.

1) Monday being a nice day {at least it doesn't rain today, hopefully}
2) Tuesday will be movie day...so going to see Mockingjay, Part 1
3) Wednesday we are going to watch a Christmas Tree Lighting - the first thing we do in this town
 {it better not let us down}


Also, I am planning a trip back to Southern California. It'll be just for a few days but it  will be enough to recharge. My soul and mind need replenishing. I need friends in my life. I need the possibility of calling my girls for brunch, or a quick drink or just coffee. I don't have that here. At all. I feel I fail at making friends or just meeting people, let alone in a new environment. So knowing I get to see two of my besties and hopefully a third one while I am going to SoCal makes my heart jump a little. 

See? I am focusing on the happy parts...

...Monday here I come!

xoxo

image via here and here

6 comments :

Allison said...

Sometimes it seems like the negative is outweighing the positive so greatly, but I'm proud of you for taking the time to focus a little on the good that's happening in your life. It really is a challenge sometimes, but you're awesome, and things WILL get better. Hang in there - sending lots of hugs and love your way!

Joey Hodges said...

Girlfriend. I have SUCH a problem with the consumerism that Thanksgiving has turned into, and I'm so so sorry you've been affected that way. If you need someone to just vent to (I know you said you're tired of venting, but sometimes it comes on spur of the moment) please feel free to email me. I am so so sorry you're going through all of this and I know how that disappointment feels when you have plans and WORK swoops in and ruins ALL of it. Here for you sweet girl.

Why Girls Are Weird said...

Oh hon I'm so sorry that your Thanksgiving is ruined! I agree with you, I don't understand why businesses need to be open over the holidays - do they not care at all about their employees? It's ridiculous.

I'm luck to work somewhere in which Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve are volunteer holidays. You don't have to work if you don't want to. And we're closed Christmas Day. It's so nice to feel appreciated in that way.

Mia @ The Chronicles of Chaos said...

Ugh, I hear you, my husband is working today during Thanksgiving. We were able to go to his mother's house and still have Thanksgiving dinner, but it's not the same without him there to share the experience with us. :(

But glad that you are able to stay positive and hope you have a really great trip to Cali and see your friends!

Elisa @ Crazy, Amazing Life said...

Ah, sorry your weekend was ruined :-(

It is just hateful, this thing they have of opening the stores on holidays – I know they are trying to be competitive, but come on, most stores already opened early on Black Friday - at least let your employees enjoy Thanksgiving! I can't stand it. I never ever went shopping on Thankgiving nor Black Friday, I just refused to give in to the consumerism and the taking advantage of people like that :-(

Thank goodness you have that upcoming trip to SoCal to look forward to! I haven't been to California in 5 years, I miss it so. I hope your weekend starts looking up!

Marie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Thanksgiving!! The stores opening earlier and earlier is terrible. It's out of control. Sending you big hugs!! I hope you have a wonderful time in So Cal!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...